Taylor is known for its world-famous barbecue and is in the Heart of the Texas BBQ Trail. We offer three locations in town that are champions of their craft – whether it’s brisket, sausage, ribs or chicken – and all four restaurants are featured on the Texas BBQ Trail. Some have even made their name known on popular television shows and at BBQ cook-off events.
Louie Mueller BBQ
Louie Mueller BBQ
Louie Mueller Barbecue is located at 206 W. 2nd Street in Taylor. This historic and legendary Texas barbecue icon was established by Louie Mueller in 1949 and celebrates 67 years
of family ownership.
Internationally acclaimed, Louie Mueller Barbecue serves guests from around the world with a full complement of traditional Texas barbecue entrees including brisket, sausage, ribs, pork, steaks, turkey and chicken. All meats are slow cooked for hours to juicy perfection in age-old pits using post-oak wood. The all-beef sausage is made in house from Bobby Mueller’s own recipe developed in 1967. Louie Mueller Barbecue has been cited in dozens of books and countless publications and has been featured on the Food Network, the Travel Channel, in several documentaries and, in 2006, received the James Beard Foundation’s “America’s Classics” Award.
The restaurant is open Mon. — Fri. 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., or until the food is sold out. Families and groups are always welcome and travelers are encouraged to call in their order in advance.
Buckalew’s BBQ is located at 1803 West 2nd Street. Hours are 11 am – 7 pm, 7 days a week.
Want to take a trip back in time, to the days of the neighborhood grocery store, and get an opportunity to eat some savory BBQ in the process? Davis Grocery & BBQ owner James Davis Jr. believes in keeping it simple — patience and mesquite wood provide the main ingredients at this barbecue hideaway that continues to gain popularity in the region. The meat offerings include Texas traditional brisket and sausage as well as ribs, pork, steak, and chicken and beef fajitas.
Davis Grocery & BBQ is located at 400 S. Robinson Street. Hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., 7 days a week.